Monday, June 1, 2009

Red Cotehardie fix


Ever-thinking about my blog, I find myself wanting to write frequently of my latest sewing excursions. With Lilies War coming up, I'm chomping at the bit to get everything done.

As promised, though, the post about the red cotehardie:

I got this dress as a "thank you"-gift from a family for drafting patterns and helping construct garb in preparation for Gulf Wars. However, the person who wore the dress last (an ex of the young man) took in the back about four inches. This would be fine if she hadn't cut out the excess fabric.

When I tried it on, the buttons were threatening to pop off. Beautiful as it was, it just wasn't very practical to wear--my back and shoulders compressed toward my spine, causing great discomfort after just a little bit of wear.

I wish I'd gotten pictures of the before to compare with the after, but imagine being poured into an outfit and you'll have the general idea.

The idea behind fixing the cotehardie was a simple one: create a gore to restore the back to its original dimensions. The good news was that there was a train on the dress--unhemmed and about 12" in length (if not longer). I cut the train back to about four inches at its longest point, rotated the remaining material perpendicular to the rest of the fabric to obtain the length I needed, and cut it out based on where I thought the original line of the dress was.

After sewing in the gore, I tried it on-- success! The gore looks a little weird, but it is SO much more comfortable. Perhaps I'll make a mantle/hood out of linen to cover up the fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment