Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Oh, the materialism.

While I'm waiting for Windows 7 RC to download (so I can rebuild my work laptop), I've done a little daydreaming regarding items I want for the SCA. Not so much items for the SCA alone, but goals to incorporate SCA life into the mundane life--furniture, textiles, etc--everything I can to maximize usability and space.

For example, I'd like to work with Olaf to build a little house on the flatbed, but in Faroese architecture and Norse furniture. I'd like a hodgepodge of medieval-looking furniture for our house, so that when we go camping, there's nothing to dig out of a garage--simply pack it all up and put it in the flatbed. No tents to set up, no rain to set us afloat at Lilies (ha!), and no mildew to start growing on canvas or nylon.
Of course, I'd paint the interior with Kilz just in case. ;)

I've actually started looking into the possibility of creating this flatbed "house"--legal height in MO is 14' on major highways, and 13' 6" on county/state roads. We figure that 13' should do the trick, though we'll lose some height due to trailer height from road to bed. Still, even if the trailer is 2' tall, that's 11' living space--perfect for a loft setting.

Inside, we'll have twin mattresses upstairs for his boys, a full-size Norse slat bed downstairs, and with the remaining living space we'll have a floor rug and either a trestle table and benches or chairs (no table).

The only other thing I need to find out is what restrictions exist for camping--state parks, SCA events, etc--do they allow "houses" on trailers as long as the trailer part is covered up (i.e., stone skirting)? If so, what are size restrictions on house length? We're currently planning for 14-16', but that's not to say that Lilies will let me have it there anyway. Or, if they do, they may want it somewhere else than across the archery range. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment