Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Project Ideas Galore!

I saw this spinning wheel and decided immediately that I must have it...someday.

I have some grand ideas for projects, one of which is making an outfit completely from scratch, as would have been done long ago. This means:
  • obtaining raw wool in bulk (I don't have room for a sheep of my own)
  • separating/carding the wool
  • spinning it as finely as I possibly can
  • weaving it using a wall loom
  • dye the wool using period techniques and colors
  • drafting a pattern for whichever outfit I choose to make
  • handsewing and binding the seams of the outfit
  • dye remaining spun wool for tablet weaving
  • weave trim for dress
  • obtaining necessary accessories (jewellery, etc) to finish the outfit

Of course, I'll take what I have to as many A&S competitions as possible; it'll likely be a lot of "works in progress" competitions. I'll also have to find documentation and sources for all the papers I'll be writing over this... :)

I hope to finish that project in the next five years or so.

In the meantime, I plan on undertaking another project as I obtain the supplies for the one listed above. This one, I can do anytime and has no real deadline--I plan on creating sheetmusic for all the Calontir songs. This, of course, means that I'll have to obtain permission for everything I do, but the two major benefits of the project are:

  1. I learn and memorize music
  2. I help others learn and memorize music

I've started working on digitizing motet music from a book I got recently; L'Amorosa Ero. The sheetmusic is great, but I wanted to hear how all the voices sounded--I could hammer it out on piano, but MuseScore ended up being a quicker solution. I'd love to gather up a group of SCAdians to sing and then present a few songs to their Majesties someday...

Anyway, off to do some research and daydreaming. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment